I turn 18 years old on the 24th of August, meaning that it will be 2 years this month since I left school after I had taken my GCSE’s, and in some aspects it seems like a lifetime ago since I was roaming those gloomy chatter-filled corridors, however in other aspects, it seems like it was only yesterday. Regardless of that, there are a huge number of things that I wish I had known when I was high school..
- Do not feel pressured to wear make up, just because your friends are.
- Stop subtweeting other people. It may make you feel better for a bit but you’re the one that ends up looking petty.
- Call your grandmother every day and let her know that you are thinking of her.. just because.
- Some people will just never like you, but do not let that bother you.
- The heartbreak you are feeling will one day fade
- You do not need to be defined by another person. Wait and the right person will come along.
- Choose your friends more carefully.
- Your mother can see a fake friend way before you can. Trust her judgement.
- Do not waste any tears over her. It is her loss, not yours.
- It is only a bad day, it is not a bad life.
- One day, all of this bullying will one day be a horrific memory in the back of your mind.
- Understand that your father doesn’t want his little girl to grow up.
- Do not give up on the Navy dream. You can do anything you want to.
- Stop comparing yourself to other people
- Learn to forgive, and learn to apologise.
- You are not fat. You are perfect the way you are.
- Do not let your mental health affect your grades but look after yourself.
- Hug your grandpa at every chance you get. Let him know that you love him.
- Stop always putting others before yourself.
- You deserve happiness.
If you are in high school right now, I want you to know that no matter how bad life may seem right now, you will make memories and have moments that make you forget about the tough times. You will have a lifetime of laughter, smiles and joy, which will compensate for that time you failed your English test, or the boy on the football team broke your heart.
“One day, you’re 17 and you’re planning for someday. And then quietly, without you ever really noticing, someday is today. And then someday is yesterday. And this is your life. ” – One Tree Hill
Embrace your innocence and stop trying to grow up way before your years. You only get to be a teenager once so enjoy it while you can because life doesn’t stop for anybody.